What to Know about The DOT Medical Exam
If you are seeking to become a commercial motor vehicle driver, you will first need to have a DOT medical exam. A DOT, which stands for Department of Transportation, exam is a physical assessment that confirms if you are healthy enough to drive safely across the nation. Being a commercial motor vehicle driver is a demanding job, and for your safety, as well as others on the road, you need to have this exam done. You don't have to go to any clinic that performs DOT exams. You can come to Elliott Chiropractic Clinic. Our chiropractor in Newnan, GA, has been an examiner since 1996, and he can tell you if you can drive safely on the roads. Here is what you need to know about the DOT exam.
What It Entails
Driving a large truck or bus is nothing like driving a small passenger car. You have to be aware of your surroundings, stopping times, restricted maneuverability, and blind spots, as well as be alert when traffic changes. Staying on top of these areas helps save lives. For these reasons, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) put in place strict guidelines for people wanting to obtain or maintain a CDL or commercial driving license.
The DOT exam has various components that our chiropractor in Newnan will perform, and they include:
- a review of your medical history and medications you are currently taking
- a vision test (drivers must at least have 20/40 vision in each eye)
- an examination of the ears to check for hearing
- a spinal exam to check for spinal abnormalities
- a neurological examination to test reflexes and balance
- a listen to the heart and lungs to see if you have any problems in these two organs
- a look at the mouth and throat to make sure you are not having breathing issues
- an assessment for the abdomen to check for abdominal problems like a hernia
- a urinalysis to check for drugs and hidden medical conditions
If you pass the exam, our doctor of chiropractic will issue you a medical certificate that is valid for two years. However, if you passed the exam but need to see our chiropractor more frequently, he may make the certificate valid for three, six, or twelve months.
Do You Need to Get Your DOT Medical Certificate? Come to Elliot Chiropractic Clinic
If you're looking for a chiropractor in Newnan who offers DOT exams, Elliott Chiropractic Clinic is here to help. Our staff understands what's expected of a commercial motor vehicle driver, and we are proud to offer these exams for qualified residents in the Newnan area. Give us a call at 770-253-2073 to book an appointment with our doctor of chiropractic.